Monday, June 16, 2008

Plimpton

I've been a fan of George Plimpton for a long time, and this seems a truly fitting tribute to him.

If you haven't read any of his writings, you should, I recommend The Man in the Flying Lawn Chair as a good start. It worked well for me.

As the essay I linked to states, he was well known for his cameos. And I thought I'd share a few of my favorites.

If you are in your twenties or younger, then the chances are pretty good that you saw him on The Simpsons, playing himself as the host of the Spellympics. This episode is filled with great lines, and a number of them were delivered by Plimpton, such as "You remind me of me, when I was a white-haired little boy."

More special to me, was his work in the second season of the phenomenal Nero Wolfe series run on A&E. As a small part of the ensemble cast, Plimpton played a chef, an elderly lawyer, and others, all wonderfully. For me, Nero Wolfe is a long-loved treasure, I have read almost every one of the books, and am always looking for the last few. I also loved the series. Plimpton, as a successful writer, certainly never needed to take acting work for money, which means he took the job for love. And his love of the Nero Wolfe stories is as evident as that of everyone else involved in making that show. It was special.

I don't recall seeing Plimpton in anything else, but that doesn't mean he wasn't there. Any favorite Plimpton sightings that you want to share?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I only know him from his Simpsons appearance, but his quote from it rings true:

"And off I go, back to whatever it is I do."