Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Remainders of the Day

Some time ago I read a post on Alison Bechdel's blog where she referenced the Clive James poem 'The Book of my Enemy has Been Remaindered.' It's a great poem, a lot of fun. I tried to find the post on her blog, but my 1337 search skills failed.

This is on my mind because today I finally picked up a copy of Bechdel's memoir Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic. The paperback has just come out, so the hardcover was remaindered. The result was that I picked it up for an exceedingly affordable amount at Shakespeare & Co. my favorite local bookstore chain. It's proving to be just as good as I thought.

I'm happy to have my hardcover copy, because graphic novels are strangely the one type of book that I really prefer in hardcover. It's probably not really that strange. Still, my best wishes for Alison that the paperbacks sell astonishingly well.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

A coworker recommended this to the library reading group, and since it was fairly new in hardback at the time (and probably because most of the people in the group aren't that into graphic novels at all), the suggestion wasn't taken up. I ordered a copy via our consortia borrowing program and devoured it. It's so well written, even without the illustrations to aide and shade.

I think I read that during one of my thrice yearly graphic novel binges.