Saturday, April 5, 2008

Welcome to the Armchair Reader!

On this blog, I will be musing about reading, and readers. While I may occasionally recommend or review specific books and authors, the main purpose is to think about what it means to be someone who reads.

Does it just mean books? fiction? novels?

I certainly don't think so. I read voraciously, news, blogs, fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and anything else I can get my hands on. As my mother puts it, sometimes you just need words in a line, and if I have nothing to read on me, then I will quickly find myself reading whatever is available, advertisements, ingredient lists, or whatever else has words on it.

One constant curiosity for me is what other people are reading. If I see someone reading on the subway, or anywhere else, I always want to know what they are reading, and can become very patient, waiting for them to shift their hold on their book long enough to reveal the title. I have been aided in this curiosity by the site GoodReads which enables you to connect with your friends, and always know what they are reading (assuming they update their page with this information.)

So with that, I'll close by welcoming you to this blog, and asking, what are you reading?

No comments: