Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Should They Stay, or Should They Go?

Your old books that is.

If they stay, there will be trouble (you'll drown in books), if they go it will be double (you might run out of things to read).

I think I'll stop committing crimes against the Clash now. What I'm really asking is, what do you do with books when you're done with them.

Aside from books you take out from the library, if you're a heavy library user then good for you!

I'm talking about the books you own. Do you hang on to everything you've enjoyed, or just a few that are extra special? And what do you do with the ones you don't save?

I hang on to far too many books, and need to start getting rid of them. I have a sizable pile of books to get rid of, but they've been there for months. I've gotten rid of a few by offering them to friends. They'll go through them, consider a few, and then decide they don't want them. I don't blame them, I didn't want them either.

When I lived closer to a used book store, the answer was easy, I would periodically bag up a bunch of books and take them over. I ended up with store credit, but store credit at a bookstore is useful for me. Now I have to take a real trip if I want to take these books to the used book store, I can't do it on a whim, I need to carefully plan a part of my day around it. Maybe I'll do it this weekend, but I've said that before.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to a book swap this weekend, and will be getting rid of a bunch that way. I use swaptree.com to trade books for movies, games, and um, more books. But new books I haven't read =) (If you want to join this, let me know & I'll send you an invite so I get credit for you joining.) We have a free book bin at work and sometimes I drop them there. In the past, I've posted lists of books I am getting rid for my friends to claim (as you know). So, really, I have a lot of things I do. I end up with lots of books to get rid of-I'm trying to keep only those ones that are important to me.

Anonymous said...

You could sell them on half.com (or eBay). I find half.com preferable to eBay for this kind of thing because it's free to list items, and they stay up there until they sell. You can offer them for cheap, but still make a little dough in the process.

Maggie said...

I've kept most everything from college, since most of my books were novels and they're heavily underlined and notated in pencil. Every so often I go through my non-Victorian books and pull out ones that I haven't read or are duplicates or that I've grown out of. I'll take them to Powell's (local!) or if I'm really lazy I'll go here (http://powells.com/sellonline), type in the ISBNs, and then print the free mailing label and ship them off. I can't use the store credit in store, but I tend to scour their website for used copies and then order for pick up in-store. Sadly Powell's is really the only used book buyer in town. Seattle has more options, but it's too far north.